Here are 5 Tips and Techniques to Decrease Discord and Increase Peace and Productivity in your Real Estate Practice.
Conflict in the real estate profession can take many forms: combative clients, antagonistic agents, a contentious closing, hostile homeowners, sassy sellers, a beef with your boss, or a problematic partner. Many realtors are faced with an argumentative associate, frequent fighting of foes, a contentious colleague, or a tug-of- war with their own team. So how do you fix it? Conflict resolution is the solution! Agents that learn and use core mediation principles and specific conflict resolution skills can turn stress into success. When you know how to tame toxic behavior and de-escalate, de-fuse, and de-compress conflict-filled situations, you can help decrease discord and increase productivity, profitability and peace in your practice.
Conflict cannot be completely avoided, but it can be mitigated. It is how we handle the
conflict that matters. Negotiations between buyers, sellers, and agents can lead to fertile ground for conflict. Realtors know that conflict, whether in your personal or professional life, is costly- in terms of time, money, energy and stress. Knowing how to prevent, manage, and resolve disputes makes for a resourceful realtor and a more peaceful, prosperous practice. An agent with sharp, conflict resolution skills can press the re-set button before heated encounters escalate. Knowing when to call a professional mediator to resolve conflict, can also help end a real estate row before it begins.
No one wants strife in their life. Every astute agent knows that you gain more from
agreement than disagreement. The most dynamic, successful, and effective realtors learn and actively use dispute resolution processes. You can make a deal and win-win without giving in. You can win someone over without winning over them. In the real estate business, unity, not division, is the measuring stick of a healthy, successful organization. When you know how to deal with the difficult, you can make a deal. Conflict resolution is the solution! There are many, many effective ways to resolve conflict. Here are 5 Conflict Resolution Tips & Techniques for Real Estate Professionals:
Here are 5 Conflict Resolution Tips & Techniques for Real Estate Professionals:
1. People are not against you, they are just for themselves. Once you realize this and do not take the conflict personally, you can separate the person from the problem. That way, you can be hard on the problem, not the person. Sometimes people can act their worst when they feel powerless.
2. 90% of Ending Conflict is in the Approach: There are two (2) ways to put down a plane– a crash landing or a smooth landing. Real estate professionals that take time to “respond” and not “react” to a dispute, are more likely to come up with smooth approaches to conflict with new insights, new clarity and new ideas. Your approach and
delivery can mean the difference between rejection versus consideration of your position. You don’t have to flex your muscles to impose strength. The way a dispute is approached can have a huge impact on its outcome.
3. Change the frame, Change the game: You can refocus the fight, and understand that the other person is not your adversary, but rather, your partner in resolving the problem. When you reframe conversations to working together as problem solvers, you dramatically increase your chances of resolution. After all, you gain more from agreement than disagreement and preserving personal and professional relationships is paramount.
4. Focus on the Fix, NOT the Fight: Re-hashing the past, can often make conflict worse. Studies show that future orientation dramatically increases your rate of resolution. When you engage the other person and focus on problem-solving with future orientation, not only are you more likely to resolve your dispute, but you increase the rate of compliance with a sustainable solution that you do agree upon.
5. Keep Calm, and Call the Mediator! A skilled, professional mediator can help resolve disputes quickly, inexpensively, efficiently, effectively, confidentially, and with mutually satisfactory results. Calling in a skilled mediator early in the process can help stop sparks
before they turn into flames. With the right training, education, and resources, real estate professionals can reduce the high cost of conflict, by changing the way it is managed. Conflict prevention, management, and resolution training can make your practice more prosperous and benefit you, your colleagues and your clients. You can be the hero to the clients you serve, by knowing how to resolve their disputes quickly and efficiently. Decreasing discord and resolving problems can help to avoid litigation, resulting in increased client satisfaction, client retention, and attracting new clients.
With the right training, education, and resources, real estate professionals can reduce the high cost of conflict, by changing the way it is managed. Conflict prevention, management, and resolution training can make your practice more prosperous and benefit you, your colleagues and your clients. You can be the hero to the clients you serve, by knowing how to resolve their disputes quickly and efficiently. Decreasing discord and resolving problems can help to avoid litigation, resulting in increased client satisfaction, client retention, and attracting new clients. Every adept agent should have core mediation and dispute resolution tools in their toolbox. Stop letting constant conflict disrupt your life and your real estate practice. Learn how to resolve
Stop letting constant conflict disrupt your life and your real estate practice. Learn how to resolve conflicts like a professional. You can turn stress into success with conflict resolution and core mediation skills training. You can put rivals on a course towards mutual gain. You can make your practice more prosperous. Re-define resolution and transform conflict with the right education, training, and resources. When you know better, you do better. Learn and use core mediation and conflict resolution principles. Conflict Resolution is the solution. It’s a winning strategy!
Kathleen (Kat) Marquis, Esq. is the principal of Bedford-based Marquis Mediation (MarquisMediation.com). She is an Attorney and Court-Certified Mediator specializing in business, corporate, and commercial law in New England. Her conflict resolution training classes for realtors, attorneys, executives, managers and other professionals are: CEU-credit approved by the New Hampshire Real Estate Commission, CAMICB, and qualify for continuing legal education credits with the New Hampshire Bar Association. Marquis can be reached at (740) 815-8687 on Facebook at Marquis Mediation, Twitter @MarquisMediate or by email at Kat@MarquisMediation.com.